Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wikipedia to Escoffier...

Image courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_logos

My discipline areas in the Bachelor of Learning Management are Hospitality and Home Economics. My Wikipedia search therefore dealt with the realms of cooking, which led me to Auguste Escoffier, a famous French chef. Some of the areas within this page were his Early Life, his time spent at the Ritz in Paris and the London Savoy as well as information about his death.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escoffier
For students learning about kitchens and cooking, this chef is great person to start with, I would get the students to find out certain important areas in which Escoffier changed cooking from a simple act to an art form.
I am not quite sure about Wikipedia as a respected source of information, being basically a Wiki other people can come in and change the content, so does anyone know if academically it can be used in assessments.

Dominique

References:
Wikipedia, (2009). Auguste escoffier. Retrieved August 13, 2009, from,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escoffier

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dominique

    Have to catch up soon!!

    I don't know where I have read it but I am sure it was within the managing e-learning course that an audit was undertaken on the site in comparison to an online encyclopedia and wikipedia came out with the thumbs up for fairly high accuracy. There are managers of the site that assess the material upload before it is accepted (the way I understand it anyway).

    Regards

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete